These labs are sponsored by Microsoft Evangelists and executed by Microsoft Premier Field Engineers. We are trained and experienced in what a Windows 8 application built in the New User Interface should look like and behave.
The purpose is to enable developers as they prepare their applications for submission to the Windows Store.
You will hear people say that the labs are there to grant early access via developer tokens but this is not the case. Our primary purpose is to communicate a common understanding of the design guidelines (both technical and user experience) that make up the new Win8 user interface and underlying technology.
Over time, I have built up a list of useful links to help developers get their apps in to shape so they are most of the way there when they hit App Excellence labs or for when they submit to the store themselves.
Here are some links to help devs on their way to a well built and well design Win8 app...
- Win8 Product Guide for Devs
- Learn to build Win8 Apps
- Creating and Deploying App Packages
- Packages and Packaging for the Store
- The Seven Virtues of Modern Applications
- From the guys who built Windows 8
- Going from iPhone to Win8 Design
- Testing Win8 Apps in Visual Studio
- Designing UX for Apps
- WinJS Controls and Styles